2000 Ford Crown Victoria part-time cranking problem

MRCROWNVIC
  • 2000 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
2000 Ford Crown Victoria V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Recently I parked on a moderate slope, leaning toward the drivers side. The low fuel light had been on for 10 miles, I can go about 40 miles before i'm in trouble of running out of gas. I live in Lexington, SC and the low is 50 and the high is 70. Fuel filter was replaced 15,000 miles ago. It will crank fine when I go to work @ 9am. But when I go home @ 5pm. It takes 30 seconds to 1 minute of steady holding the key for it to crank. I do not want to ruin a starter, battery or etc. Because of this recent problem. This is the 4th day of this occurrence.
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 8:13 PM

First, don't crank the engine for more than 10 seconds at a time. It will burn up the starter. Second, does this problem happen when there is a lot of gas in the car too? Finally, has the check engine light come on?

Let me know.
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 9:27 PM
MRCROWNVIC
The low fuel light was on when it was parked leaning toward drivers side when it first started doing this. I thought that it being low on gas, it was not getting fuel to the pump, so I filled it up. I checked my records and the fuel filter was replaced 30,000 miles ago not the 15,000 I previously stated. I aked my local mechanic to use his Snap-on diagnostic machine to see if he could find out anything, and he said unless there is a light on like the check engine it would not do any good. I can replace the fuel filter, but how do you tell if the fuel pump has been clogged with trash. I would hate to replace a fuel pump and not solve the problem. Thanks for your time and consideration.
Saturday, October 17th, 2009 AT 9:23 AM
It could have damaged the fuel pump. Here is a how to video and instructions for checking fuel pump pressure. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

You will need a gauge to check it. Most parts stores will lend or rent one to you.
Saturday, October 17th, 2009 AT 3:58 PM
MRCROWNVIC
I put a new fuel filter on Monday and added an STP fuel injector cleaner. Its been 24 hrs. And no cranking problems. Thanks for the info and help I appreciate it.
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 5:31 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck and let us know if you have qustions in the future.

Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 11:32 PM
MRCROWNVIC
Thanks for all the help.
Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 3:24 PM