1999 Ford Crown Victoria Crown vic jerking/misfire/fuel pro

J.STIEG
  • 1999 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
I have some minor problems with my car. There is some misfire/jerking that can be felt when I am cruising, mostly when it is in over drive at less throttle. It consistantly smooths out every time when I accelorate at any speed range. It starts right up every time and idles perfectly, cold or hot. I am trying to figure out if its fuel related or spark related. Do you have any ideas on what to do or try?
Friday, September 25th, 2009 AT 9:23 AM

RACEFAN966
Tell me have you replaced any parts? If so what parts have you replaced? Is the check engine light on? Get back to me and we will take it from there.
-2
Friday, September 25th, 2009 AT 9:31 AM
J.STIEG
I have not had any parts installed in the last few months since I owned it, I did put spark plugs in it a couple months ago. Check engine light has not been on at all. Tell me what you think, or lets talk some more, thanks. Jared
-1
Friday, September 25th, 2009 AT 1:03 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok well I would replace the fuel filter if you haven't just so I know how old it is may not fix the problem. Now I would like to test the tps (throttle possition sensor). You will need to have a digital multi meter. Let me know if you are ready to do a couple of tests.
+1
Saturday, September 26th, 2009 AT 8:34 AM
J.STIEG
I think the fuel filter is fine, I disconected the in-coming line at the fuel rail and get about 1 cup of gas in a pan in two seconds, pint in about 4 or 5, with the pump jumped at the relay. I have a digital multimeter and am ready for tests on the TPS at any time, thanks. Jared
-1
Saturday, September 26th, 2009 AT 9:36 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok sounds good so far. Now with the TPS you will need to back probe the gray wire with the white strip at the tps connector. You can use a paper clip to back probe at the connector. Now with everything hooked up and pluged in with key on engine off you should read.8 to 1 volt. Now slowly lift the throttle and the voltage should increase slowly and steadly with no drops or glitches as you open the throttle. Now at wide open throttle you should read 4.5 to 5 volts. Let me know what you find here. If this tests good then we will look at the crank sensor next.
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 12:59 PM
J.STIEG
The voltage reading I got was 1.1v consitantly going up to 4.7v, I think this reading means the sensor is fine, what do you think? Do you think any other sensors can be bad without the check engine light on? Jerking is felt when in overdrive, mostly when engine is under small load, it tends to smooth out when accelerated. Could be anything like bad fuel, dirty injectors, falty pressure regulator, or spark cutting out, or more, but it idles and accelerates fine and smooth, so I am not shure. Let me know what you think what needs to be done next. Thanks, Jared
-1
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009 AT 6:45 PM
RACEFAN966
Have you checked or had the fuel pressure checked? If not I would like to know what the fuel pressure is doing when you drive it.
-1
Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 AT 9:52 AM