BATTERY COMES ON

Ford Contour

shaymus47

May, 25, 2007 AT 9:29 PM

I have a Ford Contour 1995 with 158000 miles on my 4 cyl 2.0- My problem is that upon acceleration my battery comes on. I changed the Serpentine belt and the drive belt tensioner. I changed the alternator and had the battery and the alternator checked at Auto Zone. They both checked out good. What might be the problem?

Rudpro

May, 25, 2007 AT 11:33 PM

There was a problem with a wiring harness on the Contour where wires would rub or chafe on the subframe, in the vicinity of the alternator. That could be your problem. I think they extended the warranty to 100,000 miles on that problem, but that wouldn't help you unfortunately. I would start inspecting all the wiring in that area, looking for signs of wear or chafing. If you find wires that are worn and shorting out, you'll have to repair them yourself. They sell a variety of electrical tape at the hardware store. Tape any damaged wires individually and tape the whole bundle to protect it. That's all I can come up with.

ShelbyGT

July, 18, 2007 AT 12:54 AM

GO WITH WHAT THEY GO ABOVE ME SAID BECAUSE CONTOURS ARE BAD ABOUT THE WIRES GOING BARE AN THE BARE WIRES TOUCH OTHER BARE WIRES THAT CAN LEAD TO SOME MONEY SPENDING THAT COULD BE AVOIDED IF FORD WOULD SPENT A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS ON MAKING THE PLASTIC STUFF THAT GOEN OF THE COPPER WIRES A LITTLE BIT STRONGER

shaymus47

July, 19, 2007 AT 6:23 PM

[quote=" Rudpro" ]There was a problem with a wiring harness on the Contour where wires would rub or chafe on the subframe, in the vicinity of the alternator. That could be your problem. Problem, but that wouldn't help you unfortunately. I would start inspecting all the wiring in that area, looking for signs of wear or chafing. If you find wires that are worn and shorting out, you'll have to repair them yourself.
Thanks that was the problem

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Alternator testing done right