'98 Ford Contour, 2.5L V6 will not start/run, acts- no gas?

CUCAMONGAN
  • 1998 FORD CONTOUR
This car is a '98 Ford Contour 2.5L V6, 104K miles. The car has been sitting for a while(4-6 months) , because the starter went out. Replaced the starter and now it wont start. it has a 1/2 tank of gas
I pushed the schrader fuel valve on the engine for fuel, and it dribbled out, so I replaced the fuel filter.(original at 104K miles) after that, I had better pressure, as it squirt out of the schrader fuel valve. Still no start.
I cleaned out the Throttle Body, thought it might help. I used carb/throttle body cleaner. It still had some in the intake as I put it together. The car started, but it ran for 2 seconds. So, I shot some more cleaner in the intake and it started again, but ran only for 2-3 seconds.
My guess is that it is not getting fuel, as if the fuel injectors are not firing.
I ask you for you help in getting this car going. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/59799_98_Ford_Contour_4_1.jpg

Saturday, February 17th, 2007 AT 5:26 PM

KIN CHAN
Sounds like bad gas in the tank and kill ur fuel pump. Chk power to the pump during crank. Must be battery voltage. Also place a pressure gag inline to the injector supply side. Gotta have more than 30 psi. If u have good voltage to the pump and no or not enuff pressure. Good luck to ur pump. ALSO. GET THE WHOLE UNIT FROM FORD. Don't use the cheap crap. We had tons of problems in our shop that people put cheap pump in and send us the car to figure it out. We are mechanic. Not ABC nitelines team that compare comsumer products
Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 5:57 AM
CUCAMONGAN
Update:
New Fuel Pump: no change. What a BEAR to drop the tank. (I later learned that you can access the electrical from under the rear seat)
New Starter, tested the old one and it was fine.
Car still acts like it has a dead spot in the starter.
When It will crank, I tested for the pulsing of the fuel Injectors, They pulse.
I have not pulled codes yet, though the engine light is not on. I will Pull codes next(I guess I can rent one from AutoZone?)
Im thinking a Computer has died/malfunction and prevents this car from running. What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance
Monday, March 19th, 2007 AT 1:07 AM
KIN CHAN
NO Way.U have gas u have spark its gotta start. Chk compression and chk timing with a timing gun. Step on the pedal all the way during cranking. Possible got flooded out
Monday, March 19th, 2007 AT 8:38 AM
CUCAMONGAN
I rented a OBD - II Code Reade from AutoZone = NO CODES what so ever.
I tried what you said, floor it while trying to start. Nothing, it just cranks. I might have heard it trying to compress and fire a cylinder or 2.
I sprayed carb cleaner into the intake manifold and it started and ran just fine for a couple of seconds.
I went to go check the timing, but I found 3 timing marks on the timing cover, but no marks on the Crank.
How Do I check the Timing on this thing?
Also, another thing I have noticied, is whenever I remove the key, or turn it to the off position, whenever I try to start it again, It will not crank. I have to jump the starter in order to use the starter. After I jump it, it cranks fine!
This brings up a question: Is there a Anti-Theft device that can be causing ALL these problems? It only has a key, but no keyless remote entry, But I think I came with one from the dealership.
Thanks again!
Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 4:36 PM
CUCAMONGAN
After many headaches and dead ends, I towed it down to the local Stealership. They pretty much diagnosed it as the key I had was faulty and was tripping the anti theft system. $265 latter for diagnostics and 2 new keys cut and Encrypted, I was driving down the road!

Hope this helps to others in the future.
+1
Friday, April 27th, 2007 AT 1:30 AM