1999 FORD CONTOUR WONT START NEW INTAKE GASKET

• Ryan20021982
  • 1999 FORD CONTOUR

Hi, I just changed an intake gasket on my 1999 ford contour because thats what the ford dealer said was wrong. I came home from the dealer with the car running not very well but running then I changed the intake gasket and now it wont start. I checked over the engine at least 5 times to make sure I plugged everything back in but nothing. I had the coil pack tested and its good. The engine turns over but sounds like its not firing but it has spark, so then I checked the fuel by pushing in the release and it has pressure then tried to start again and checked for pressure again and it had built pressure. Sorry the engine is the 2.5l dohc. Please help.

Sunday, March 19th, 2006 AT 11:46 AM

• Peppermrj

How many miles? Any codes? Have the plugs and wires been replaced? Oil soaked plugs are common in DOHC motors from leaky valve cover/ cam cover gaskets. The plug wells fill with oil and allow the plugs to misfire. Soak up any oil with cooton balls, replace the plugs and wires, and give it a go.

A good read. http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/car_cranks_but_wont_start.htm

Also check that the air intake is not restricted.

Good luck and let us know.

Sunday, March 19th, 2006 AT 4:02 PM
  • Ryan20021982

The plugs were changed but not the wires and ford said it was the intake gasket that was causing the spark plugs to get oil on them.I dont know if it has any codes now does auto zone let you take the tester for a deposit because thats the only way the car will get tested unless I tow it. The car has 82,000 miles on it.

Sunday, March 19th, 2006 AT 5:04 PM
  • Peppermrj

A lot of parts houses will rent tools. I would try to get it running first. Pull the plugs and check their appearance, oil soaked, fuel soaked, dry?

Just cuase you have fuel pressure does not mean your injectors are firing. Check all the fuses and double check all electrical connections.

Good luck and let us know. :)

Sunday, March 19th, 2006 AT 7:23 PM