1998 Ford Contour transmission won't go when in drive

RHAYES1980
  • 1998 FORD CONTOUR

1998 Ford Contour 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

I have a 1998 contour with about 120, 00 miles, just the other day I drove it to work and everything was fine. When I left to go home it would barely go when I put into drive, so I downshifted into 2nd gear and it proceeded to go then I shifted back to drive when the rpm's got high enuff, that worked for awhile now it won't even go in the lower gears. If I get the vehicle to actually to accelerate to higher gears it goes just fine. Does anyone have any ideas.

thanks

Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 AT 10:29 PM

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

First make sure the fluid level is correct, if that is OK, you will have to get a transmission shop to run a pressure test on the box to check shift pressures, this may well be a faulty valve in the transmission valve body.

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008 AT 1:49 AM
TUNERBOY313

I'm having the same problem and it happened in the same scenario. But my 2nd and 1st gear work but Drive will barely pull unless I pull off in 2nd then switch to drive. Could it be the same issue?

Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 2:19 PM
MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

you could have the same or a similar issue going on, I would still get it seen to by a trans tech, as there will not be very much that you can do your self.

Thursday, June 26th, 2008 AT 5:32 AM