1998 Ford Contour Car dies for no appearant reason

• 1 POST

Engine problem
1998 Ford Contour 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 82000 miles

My car has been dying for no reason. In the past year or so, it has died at least twice a month. Usually we wait 5-10 minutes and the car restarts and runs like a champ for 2-3 wks before it does it again. I just passed it off as bad gas in the past. My wife and I were on our way to Nebraska for a wedding. We exited the Interstate we were on and at the top of the off ramp, the car dies. I had to push it across the street to the gas station. I popped the hood and found that a couple vacuum lines were busted. I was able to replace them and the car restarted. However, when I pulled it around to get gas, it died again in the fuel island. I was able to get it started again, but it then died as we were pulling out. I just had the fuel filter replaced, and the mechanic shop it is at now cannot find any probs with it. I have had some mechanics tell me it could be the fuel pump, and some tell me it could be the ignition module. I do not want to pick up the car only to find that the problem still exists. Any thoughts? THey would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2008 AT 12:54 PM

Just to add to your list
i would say check crank sensor

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2008 AT 1:25 PM