1997 FORD CONTOUR OVERHEATING

• westg731
  • 1997 Ford Contour

Engine problem
1997 Ford Contour 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

the car is overheating. The thermostat was stuck closed so I removed it.I have checked all the hoses, flushed out cooling system using a product made by Prestone and refilled with 50/50 antifreeze. It dosen't leak, all belts are tight and waterpump is fine. Do you have any ideas as to why it is still overheating? Thank you.
gary

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 5:13 PM

• blackop555

Are you cooling fans coming on? Also did you install the thermostat facing the right direction?

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 10:08 PM
  • westg731

Thank you for your response to my question. Yes my fans are working.I did not replace my thermostat yet. I figured it would help it run cooler till I find out what is wrong. After starting the car, it only takes a couple of minutes before the engine is in the red. And I also checked out the temp gauge to be sure it was working. If you have any other sugestions, I would be thankful.
Gary

Thursday, February 7th, 2008 AT 11:17 AM
  • blackop555

In that case make sure your coolant is full and the radiator fins are clean. May be a bad water pump, that has been worn down.

Thursday, February 7th, 2008 AT 4:47 PM