OVERHEATING

1997 Ford Contour

westg731

February, 5, 2008 AT 5:13 PM

Engine problem
1997 Ford Contour 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

the car is overheating. The thermostat was stuck closed so I removed it.I have checked all the hoses, flushed out cooling system using a product made by Prestone and refilled with 50/50 antifreeze. It dosen't leak, all belts are tight and waterpump is fine. Do you have any ideas as to why it is still overheating? Thank you.
gary

blackop555

February, 5, 2008 AT 10:08 PM

Are you cooling fans coming on? Also did you install the thermostat facing the right direction?

westg731

February, 7, 2008 AT 11:17 AM

Thank you for your response to my question. Yes my fans are working.I did not replace my thermostat yet. I figured it would help it run cooler till I find out what is wrong. After starting the car, it only takes a couple of minutes before the engine is in the red. And I also checked out the temp gauge to be sure it was working. If you have any other sugestions, I would be thankful.
Gary

blackop555

February, 7, 2008 AT 4:47 PM

In that case make sure your coolant is full and the radiator fins are clean. May be a bad water pump, that has been worn down.

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer