WONT SHIFT INTO OVERDRIVE

1995 Ford Contour

masadler

October, 27, 2008 AT 6:57 PM

1995 Ford Contour 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 161894 miles

When I travel on the highway my cor whines when it shifts into 2nd and 3rd gear and then around 55-65 mph it continues to whine and doesn't shift into overdrive. I was told that my transmission is going bad and I would only be able to drive it short and slow distances. I have not done a transmission service in over two years. Could this be a problem?

October, 29, 2008 AT 10:45 AM

Hi masadler,

Whining noises are usually due to worn bearings or bushes and it is a sign of inefficient lubrications, wear and tear due to old age. Two years is not the problem, it is the amount of travelling that is the main factor.

If you do not have enough fluid in the system, it might not upshift to OD, check it first.

masadler

October, 29, 2008 AT 6:34 PM

I had all the fluids checked and they are all good.

October, 30, 2008 AT 6:49 AM

Hi masadler,

Since the fluids are good and level correct, I would suggest getting a scan done to find if there are any DATA FREEZE FRAME stored in memory of the PCM. Scannng can be done free at your local Autozone outlet.

This might help in diagnosing the OD not functioning problem. As to the whining, it should be internal fault of the trans and I don't think there is anything you can do about it except get a rebuild or replacement.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement