1995 Ford Contour Brake pedal would not depress

LIVNLRNNLAFNLOVNLIFE
  • 1995 FORD CONTOUR
My daughter bought the car from friend of her mom's for a thousand firm. After two month's with no problem's, last night she was driving home down a hill an when she pushed on the brake's to slow down the brake's suddenly the pedal would not go down, she push again, and again, then she got scared and put the gearshift into "PARK" (Yea I know!) And it still wouldn't stop, so she reached up and turned off the egnition key, then she was able to pull the car over to the curb as it slowed down an then came to a stop, with her or the car hitting any other car's, but it was a very close call. She told me that there was something smoking when she got out but could not tell where it was coming from. And she said that as it was slowing to a stop she could hear a loud clicking noise (The parking gear) until the car came to a complete stop. My "Question is first, why wouldn't the brake pedal go down an activate the brake's an stop the car. And the other is what else is wrong now.
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 8:54 PM

LIVNLRNNLAFNLOVNLIFE
[quote="livnlrnnlafnlovnlife"]Brakes problem
1995 Ford Contour 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95,000 miles

My daughter bought the car from friend of her mom's for a thousand firm. After two month's with no problem's, last night she was driving home down a hill an when she pushed on the brake's to slow down the brake's suddenly the pedal would not go down, she push again, and again, then she got scared and put the gearshift into "PARK" (Yea I know!) And it still wouldn't stop, so she reached up and turned off the egnition key, then she was able to pull the car over to the curb as it slowed down an then came to a stop, with her or the car hitting any other car's, but it was a very close call. She told me that there was something smoking when she got out but could not tell where it was coming from. And she said that as it was slowing to a stop she could hear a loud clicking noise (The parking gear) until the car came to a complete stop. My "Question is first, why wouldn't the brake pedal go down an activate the brake's an stop the car. And the other is what else is wrong now.I'm her Father/Dad but I'm a Vietnam Veteran that is in College full time. I am also starting an Ice Cream Truck Biz so I can really use some's advice on this matter "PLEASE!"
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 9:03 PM