STEERING COLUMN MOVEMENT 84 FULLSIZE

1984 Ford Bronco

randyandiam

April, 17, 2007 AT 6:57 PM

Have a 1984 ford bronco full size 351 2bbl power steering. W/ 250000+ miles problem is: while holding my steering wheel I can move it upwards and right to left at least an inch to two inches also bcuz of this truck will not start unless I push upwards and to the right on the steering wheel also am having intermittant stalling due to column movement however it can be restarted by putting in nuetral. Also I must turn the keyto extreme on while doing all above. I have taken steering column apart but only as far as taking steering wheel off. My question is how do I tighten up steering column and what could be causing all other problems im experiencing im guessing ignition switch is part of problem but im at a loss as to how im going to fix irregular column movement HELP. Just a sidenote: also truck is lifted and when I get into truck I used steering wheel to help pull me in.

mcferrance

April, 17, 2007 AT 9:39 PM

I am asumming that this is a tilt steering column.
You will need a special tool (available through Lisle, Snap-on, Mac, Matco, and possibly as a loaner through Auto Zone) which is a small bolt-puller combination to remove the tilt pivot pins. It has been a while since I have done this so please refer to a manual for all of the particulars. You have to remove the steering wheel and other items to get to these pivots. Once the pivots are removed, you can access the 4 bolts that need tightened. It would be a good idea to remove the bolts and apply lock-tite to them.

mcferrance

April, 17, 2007 AT 9:40 PM

The other problems are likely because of all of the play in the column affecting the ignition and neutral safety switch.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement