E4OD TRANNY

Ford Bronco

jay.tran

April, 19, 2007 AT 7:07 AM

Hi, I have a 1994 Ford Bronco (full size) 5.0 auto.
Its got a e4od trans, it seems as if the tranny is enguaging rough and shifting really hard. I started by changing the filter, fliud / gasket. That did nothing. Then I figure electrical. There is a mlp/tr sensor on the tranny that I'm told after time when it gets wet / damp can cause my issue. So, I changed it. It came with a new style harness and I repinned the harness and got the sensor in no prob. That still didnt do it. I found while changing the battery cables that the issue " resets" it self. So no my issue is gone. However if I'm on the high way and need to speed up I hit passing gear (not beating on it, gental) and then the issue returns. For now I try to stay away from Overdrive and if the issue returns I pop the battery cables off and it goes away. None the less the problem is still there. What are your thoughts? OD switch? Sensor on the rear diff? Elect selinoid on tranny?
I cant put much more $$ into this beast right now.
I was told could be the yoke (rear) spline issue, I think not though. What would reseting elect have to do with that. Right?
Please help

F150

merlin2021

April, 19, 2007 AT 4:28 PM

The sensor on the rear diff is the RABS valve (Rear Anti-lock Brake Sytem) so I don't think you need that. This sounds more like a modulator issue.

jay.tran

April, 20, 2007 AT 11:23 AM

What about selinoid? When I changed the harness it was attached to what I think is the selinoid. Does anyone know how I change it? Is it thru the tranny, does the tranny need to get dropped to change.

merlin2021

April, 20, 2007 AT 5:32 PM

Well maybe a PCM reflash at ford would do the trick. If pulling the neg cable solves it.

pscott

May, 2, 2007 AT 5:17 PM

This sounds a lot like the problems I have had with my expedition. The light goes off when detects slippage of the torque converter clutches. I can get it to reset by turning off the key. It is a real problem with the clutches, and mine goes into a high pressure shift mode to prevent more slippage. Does yours shift rough when the light is flashing?

jay.tran

May, 3, 2007 AT 6:12 AM

Yah, I dont have a light though. Older bronco. I'm okay if I reset by disconnecting the battery. Then I'm good. I actually plan to go thru the whole truck. I've done the entire suspension (everything) and I have gone thru the engine, next on the list is the tranny. Once I get to the tranny I plan to post my results.
Jay

jay.tran

May, 3, 2007 AT 6:14 AM

Also the PCM update is scheduled to be done prior to me getting into the tranny, The earlier posting regarding the PCM update is correct.

Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement