Bronco ii hesitation/stalling PLEASE HELP

BRONCOIIBLUES
  • FORD BRONCO
Hello, I have a 1988 ford bronco ii, 4wd, automatic, 2.9 v6, 30,000 miles on rebuilt engine. Bronco starts fine, runs good have intermittent hesitation/stalling and the check engine light will flash when this happens. I have replaced the distributor cap, rotor button, plug wires, spark plugs, ignition module, ignition coil, fuel pump relay and both fuel filters. I get two engine codes: 95-Fuel pump relay secondary circuit failure and 48 Loss of IDM. I can hear fuel pump come on and checked fuel pressure, it is 40 psi. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Sunday, April 15th, 2007 AT 12:15 PM

BRONCOIIBLUES
Could it be the ignition stator?
Monday, April 16th, 2007 AT 1:25 PM
THADANGERRANGER
Try the MAP sensor! That could be your problem!
Tuesday, May 1st, 2007 AT 9:42 AM
TDUB
I also have a 1988 bronco 2 as well 2.9 li 4wd automatic I have 86,000 miles and my bronco is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever find out what the problem was? Im going to get a map sensor for it tomorrow. I feel you man about your bronco. Let me know what was up I would greatly appreciate it
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 7:59 AM
BRONCOIIBLUES
Tdub- yes, I found my problem. The problem was the computer. The computer sends 12 volts to the eec relay. The 12 volts from the computer would drop out for a second and then come back. The eec relay powers the fuel pump relay (among other things. Igntion.) So when the computer would drop the 12 volts to the eec relay I would lose power to the fuel pump and ignition system as well.

I figured this out by driving with a small bulb in parallel to the eec relay 12 volt power from the computer. Every time the bronco would hesitate, the bulb would flicker- telling me I was losing power to the bulb and relay. Instead of replacing the computer, I cut the wire to the eec relay and spliced it with a switched 12 volts.
Hope this helps.
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 9:20 PM