FULL SIZE - BRAKE ISSUE

1992 Ford Bronco

vmcdonald8833

May, 5, 2007 AT 11:55 AM

I have been experiencing a problem with my brakes. After driving long enough to heat my brakes up, the brake light on the dashs (the one that lights when the parking brake is engaged) and the Rear ABS light comes on. My brake pedal becomes stiff, and it feels as though the brakes are partially engaged as I am driving. I can smell something getting hot (I assume it is the brakes) add the truck drags. When I stop the truck, the front wheels feel hot to the touch. This occurs whether I am in stop & go traffic or on the hghway driving a steady speed with very liitle brake use required.

vmcdonald8833

May, 7, 2007 AT 2:27 PM

Yes - I used to use the parking brake quite often. My driveway is on a slant, and I had been in the habit of using it when I park overnight. When this problem began, I stopped using it becuase I thought it was stuck. My husband checked it out and it was not stuck, but I still don't use it anymore. Thanks for your help.

vmcdonald8833

May, 11, 2007 AT 10:28 AM

We have done as you suggested with the parking brake, and also replaced the brake lines (this was the only braking system component we had not replaced recently). The problem seems to be fixed. We believe pressure was building up in the brake lines (which were probably just worn out). This was causing the calipers (sp?) To stick and eveything was heating up. The heating caused the brake light to come on. What we still do not quite understand is why the rear ABS light was coming on even though the issue was clearly in the front brakes. Oh well, all is well now. Thanks so much for your assistance. : D

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet