1990 Ford Bronco Speedometer\Fuel\Odometer Failure

RUFNEX
  • 1990 FORD BRONCO
1990 Ford Bronco
175K+ Miles
302 5.0 engine.

Recently the Speedometer, Fuel Gauge, and Odometer stopped working (all at the same time). The Tachometer, Oil and Voltage gauges in the cluster work fine. I have replaced the speedometer gauge inside the cluster, the speedometer cable & sensor. Speedometer works fine when manually testing. I'm really stumped on this one.
Thursday, August 23rd, 2007 AT 1:26 PM

JWALTH02
Do me a favor really quick. Not to sure because I have the 5.8 and yours is the 5.0 but check your number 7 or 17 fuse, if they're good then check the panel and find which fuse controls those items. Also when this happens does the truck run a little rougher? Do you have to floor it to get it to shift?
Friday, August 24th, 2007 AT 2:44 AM
RUFNEX
I've checked all the fuses but will do so again. However when I put the transmission in I did have the siuation of "flooring it to shift". This is caused by a mal adjusted TV (Throttle Velocity) cable which was a result of installing the new trans. Once adjusted there was no problems, even then the gauges listed worked. The truck runs absolutely fine otherwise.
Friday, August 24th, 2007 AT 1:48 PM
JWALTH02
Well I'm glad to hear that you got it fixed. The only reason I asked about the fuse was in my 92 full size bronco I had the same exact problem, but it was caused by the #7 or 17 (cant remember which one exactly) fuse blowing. Caused by a short that I had to tear apart my dash and run over miles of wires to find it. Not fun.
Saturday, August 25th, 2007 AT 2:10 AM
RUFNEX
The gauges still do not work. I just ordered a new (used) instrument cluster, after that it must be a short somewhere. Any ideas where to start looking?
Monday, August 27th, 2007 AT 9:49 AM
JWALTH02
Did you check the fuses I suggested?
Thursday, August 30th, 2007 AT 1:50 PM