1995 Ford Aspire fuelpump?

• 3 POSTS
  • 1995 FORD ASPIRE

1995 Ford Aspire 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 135000 miles

first of all the car has been sitting for one year and now it wont start so i checked the fuel lines at the fuel filter and there was no fuel pressure at all and there was old bad gas in the filter so i cleaned it out . and when i turn the key to ON i dont hear the fuelpump humming how quiet are they? is it the fuelpump and how easy would it be to do it my self or how much would it cost me to get it replaced from a repair shop . pls help thx

Friday, July 18th, 2008 AT 8:01 PM

• 11 POSTS

Well before replacing the pump I would test the electrical connector going to the pump just to make sure the pump is actually getting power.

To do this just have someone turn the key to the on postion and use a test light to see if the pigtail is sending power to the pump.

If it is, then yes chances are you probally need a new pump.

What a shop charges I have no idea.
But to change the pump you will have to drop the fuel tank, which should be held on there by 2 metal straps, then you have to snake your hand up there and pull off the fuel lines, and unplug the pig tail to the pump and the take should fall to the ground.

The gas tank has a hole in the top of it for the fuel pump.
This is where the old one is at, there is a lock ring that you have to turn to remove the pump there is a gasket oring in there too that you have to take out, then the pump should just pull right out.

I do recommend cleaning the gas tank out and replacing the fuel filter as well.

To replace it just basically have to do what you just did to remove it in reverse.

Put the pump in, install a new fuel tank oring gasket, and put the lock ring back on and turn it to the locked position, then you have to plug in the pig taiil, fuel lines and lift the tank back into position so the straps can wrap around it and bold them back on.

This isnt a real easy job with out a lift, doing it on your back just really really sucks. You can probally do this by yourself but I would recommend having an extra set of hands.

Once u get the tank in there and all the fuel lines connected pig tail connected, new fuel filter installed.

Turn the key to the on position and let it sit there for about 30 seconds to give the pump time to pressure up, and it might take a couple of cranks for it to evacuate the air from the line and to start pushing fuel through the engine.

I dont have any shop prices on what they charge for labor or anything but if I were to guess id probally guess between 500-700 dollars total.

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008 AT 11:34 PM