FLEXPLATE-SHEARING FAILURE AT BOLTS

1994 Ford Aerostar

Daniel Chapa

November, 2, 2009 AT 5:06 PM

1994 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive 177000 miles

I recently had the 4 speed stock transmission overhauled by a mechanic who has experience in this type of repairs. We both installed it with a kragen -remanufactured Flex plate and rebuilt torque convertor. It ran well and shifted very well for about six months and then while going up a small grade it broke down. I took off the transmission and the problem was the flex plate sheared at the bolts next to where it attaches to a small spacer and hub on the crankshft. The pilot bearing and hub is not worn out as it fits the torque convertor very snug.
However when I first installed the transmission, I did notice a very slight vibration when filling it up with oil at idle speed. Why does the flex plate shear? Do I need to use FORD original equipment parts for the flex plate and Torque convertors? What do I need to do to solve this problem?

Jacobandnickolas

January, 24, 2010 AT 12:25 AM

Actually, this doesn't happen often. However, it is usually the result of a factory crack that was in the flex plate prior to you getting it. There shouldn't be a need to have a factory part.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang