Here is what the manual is showing. Note: The rear wheels will hold the vehicle (parking brake) not the front.
The directions show adjustment starting at the parking brake pedal. Here are the directions. The attached pics correlate with the directions.
1998 Chevy Truck K Tahoe 4WD V8-5.7L VIN R
Park Brake Cable Service/Adjustment (Parking Brake Adjustment)
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Parking Brake System Parking Brake Cable Adjustments Park Brake Repair Instructions Park Brake Cable Service/Adjustment (Parking Brake Adjustment)
PARK BRAKE CABLE SERVICE/ADJUSTMENT (PARKING BRAKE ADJUSTMENT)
- J 35999 Tension Scale
1. Remove the clevis pin (3) from the lever (2).
2. Set the parking brake by pushing the pedal down 18 degrees.
Insert a 3 mm (.125 inch) pin into locating hole (1) in the pedal assembly.
Push the pedal down until the pin contacts the parking brake outer flange.
3. Install J 3599 with a small length of cable or chain, and a tightening device (like a turn buckle) on the frame.
4. Install a small chain (6) on the lever (1) near the spring on the bottom of the lever.
Tighten the tightening device until J 3599 is at 222 Nm (50 ft. Lbs.).
5. Loosen the nut (4) and turn the clevis (3) until the pin (2) slides freely in the lever (1) with all slack removed from the cable.
6. Install the clevis pin (2) and the cotter pin.
Tighten the nut (4) to 37 Nm (27 ft. Lbs.).
NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
7. Remove J 35999 and all extensions used.
8. Release the parking brake.
9. Rotate the drum to assure there is no drag.
Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020 AT 5:15 PM