Fail safe mode

JEANNETTE RITTER
  • 2005 NISSAN MAXIMA
The fail safe mode (limp mode. I have replaced the following; valve covers and gaskets (found oil in spark plug chamber #5), all of the plugs. I have cleaned the MAF, the TBS. Relearned the idle and it is still in limp mode.
No check engine light, but diagnostics pull p0300 code.
Monday, April 25th, 2016 AT 6:20 PM

SATURNTECH9
You only have a code P0300 and it is going into limp mode? That does not really make sense when a car goes into limp mode it is usually because a failure in the throttle by wire system. Have you had the car scanned by a professional scan tool or just a diy'er code reader?
+1
Monday, April 25th, 2016 AT 10:29 PM
JEANNETTE RITTER
DIY reader.
We bought the car used in February. It was in limp mode then. The woman I bought it from said that it was because it had been impounded (Parked on the street during a winter parking ban) and the towing company had pulled a plug to ensure the car could not be driven away. I think she said it was like a vacuum plug or intake plug? She said it only had to be relearned. We have tried relearning it after each fix, and still nothing. My local Nissan dealership is not trustworthy, so I do not know where else to bring this car where I will not get charged hundreds of dollars for something that may not need repairing. This is why we are trying to do it ourselves.
Tuesday, April 26th, 2016 AT 6:16 AM
SATURNTECH9
I just need all the information a random misfire code does not make sense to me putting the car into limp mode. Cars are complex now with many computers and a lot of subsystems that are ran by those computers. Without the correct information like all the codes the computer is setting etc. You are fishing with dynamite by just replacing a part here or there. Also a lot of times you need a professional scan tool to help diagnose the problem. I wish this was not true I could have spent all the money I spent on my expensive professional scan tool on something else. I tried to not get one by getting away with a less expensive one lol. But all it did was cause frustration and waste time. The first thing I would do if I was fixing the car for you is see what codes you have in the computer that would be my starting point along with a visual inspection under the hood.
Tuesday, April 26th, 2016 AT 7:06 AM
JEANNETTE RITTER
Is there a different method to find codes in the computer?
Tuesday, April 26th, 2016 AT 8:44 AM
KEN
The main reason the computer can be in limp mode is because the thermostat is stuck open not allowing the engine to heat up, here is more information on this problem

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/scan-test-is-incomplete-p1000

Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, April 26th, 2016 AT 9:31 AM