Engine roaring that increases with acceleration

REDROSEPINKHEART
  • 2008 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER
Took my warrantied vehicle listed above (v8 premier) in to have the radiator fixed and when I got the car back it had an extremely loud roaring noise when accelerating. I took it back in and they replaced the electronic fan clutch but it is still making the noise. It almost feels like my car is fighting against me when I push the gas. They do not seem to think it is a problem and do not know what else to do so they emailed Ford for help; no answer yet. This would not bother me so much if my car was not so quiet before. Any ideas?
Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 AT 9:33 PM

SATURNTECH9
Does it sound like a lot of air rushing and moving around?
+8
Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 AT 11:15 PM
REDROSEPINKHEART
It sounds like the entire front end is going to blow off, it is so loud. It is loudest when initially accelerating from a stop. If I increase speed from level speed, it either does not make the noise, which sounds like a loud roaring, or it is not as loud. Previously, the only time my car made any kind of "odd" or louder noise would be the first time I turned it on after not driving it for awhile, but it would stop within a minute or so. Now it is constant, no matter how long I have been driving.

The manager at the dealership says it is the electronic fan clutch that is so loud. I do not understand why it was not loud before, as I am assuming putting a new electronic fan clutch in should make it sound like it did before I had it towed in for the radiator.

There was nothing wrong with the clutch, they just replaced it to see if it would help and it did not. My car was extremely quiet from purchasing it new in 2008 until I got it back from being towed and having the radiator fixed. I do not understand why or what could have happened to make it become so loud, all of a sudden! There has got to be something wrong. Anyone have any suggestions or have had this happen before and found a solution?
+1
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 8:00 AM
SATURNTECH9
When fans like yours work correctly they do make a lot of noise moving all that air. Without hearing the noise myself I really cannot tell you exactly what is going on. From what you have told me that is my best answer. I have had bad fan clutches replaced them and wow what a difference on how much louder it is with the new clutch. My best advice to you is take somewhere else and get a second opinion on the noise. Please share with us what they say.
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 6:02 PM
GAZRANGEY1978
I have this problem too, from acceleration or even at stand still, revving the engine, you get this old mighty jet blasting sound. It is really loud and people walking by turn around. It sounds like your going really fast in a harrier jet plane but your only doing thirty five to forty mph, driving me mad on what the problem is. The only way to describe the sound is like a load of high pitched jet airs!
Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 AT 5:47 PM
WMA
Hi redrosepinkheart, what ever became of this as a diagnosis? My mercury mountaineer just started doing this over the past few months on random occasions. After I had exhaust replaced although coming from engine so probably no connection. This vehicle has had so many issues I hesitate to walk in a garage without a rough idea. :(
Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 AT 5:47 AM
KEN

This is one of two things which are the problem, first it could be a defective electric fan or the PCM is intermittently sticking. Please use this wiring diagram to test the circuit, there is a chance the coolant sensor is going out as well.

Here is a some guide to help you get the problem fixed:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-temperature-sensor-cts-replacement

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

+1
Saturday, April 29th, 2017 AT 1:58 PM