ERRATIC FUEL GAGE AND ENGINE SURGE

1994 Dodge Ram

jprevost

May, 23, 2014 AT 10:57 AM

Fuel Gage Erratic + Engine Surge. Does this mean new fuel pump? Felt engine surge at 60 mph. Fuel gage bouncing and reading wrong amount of fuel.

93 F150 Hesitates/surges

Engine Surging

Jacobandnickolas

May, 23, 2014 AT 11:00 AM

Chances are the two are not related. As far as the fuel gauge, most likely the rheostat on the float gauge is bad and sending the wrong signals. The bad part is the float gauge is part of the fuel pump.

As far as the driveability issues, have you checked for engine trouble codes? When was the last tune up? Any concerns with the catalytic converter starting to plug?

jprevost

May, 23, 2014 AT 12:47 PM

Just changed the catalytic converter. I will have to have a diagnostic check on it I guess. When you say the float is bad, will I have to change the entire fuel pump?

Jacobandnickolas

May, 24, 2014 AT 6:11 PM

Yes, the float gauge is part of the fuel pump. As far as checking codes, you can do it yourself. This year Dodge is easy to do. Follow these directions and let me know what you find.

Cycle the key from off to on (without starting the engine) 3 times.

The 3rd time, let the key in the on position.

The check engine will begin to flash.

Each code is a 2 digit number. The light will flash so many times (which will be the first number) and there will be a short delay, then flash again. The 2nd time it flashes is the 2nd digit of the code.

The first code will be a 55 (five flashes, a delay, five more flashes). That indicates it is in the check mode.

After the 55, any other codes that are present will flash. Keep a pencil and paper by you so you can write the numbers down as you count the flashes.

When all codes have been displayed, it will flash a 55 again to say it's done.

See if any codes are present and let me know what you find.

jprevost

May, 27, 2014 AT 7:13 AM

Thanks for your reply. I checked for codes with the flash and found none. I did see the 55 flash but nothing there after.