ENGINE BEGAN HESITATING AND THEN DIED WHEN I SLOWED TO A STOP.

2004 Chrysler Sebring

nbinfinity

April, 20, 2013 AT 10:11 AM

I was about a mile from my destination. I noticed the engine hesitate a couple times. I kept feeling it and as a ascended the hill to my destination, it began sputtering and hesitating more. I felt a loss of power as the car would slow down on the hill. I gave it more gas and at 2500-4000 RPM the hesitation/sputtering stops. I pulled into my parking spot, as soon as it got to about 500-800 RPMs it died and I coasted in.

I noticed the powering steering went out when the engine stopped too.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

April, 20, 2013 AT 10:14 AM

Could be plugs/coil, vacuum leak are among many of the possibilities.

Is the check engine light on?

Did it overheat?

nbinfinity

April, 20, 2013 AT 3:35 PM

So I replaced the plugs, air filter (just cause it needed it) and the PVC valve. As I was working near the end of my task, my buddy shows up and helps me trouble shoot. We disconnected the Throttle Position Censor and the MAF sensor. It started right up and hovered at 2,000 rpms. Reconnected the Throttle Position Sensor and started again. It seemed just as good as was for the last year or so, rpms normal level.
Another buddy called me back after the fix and suggested a Sea Foam treatment to take care of the build up I found throughout today's project.
I will be limping it to the Auto Zone and getting a MAF sensor tonight but. If you have any input for a 100,000+ vehicle with little to no maintenance for last 35,000 miles or so it would be welcome. I am not a car guy nor do I have the means to go get a new/used car. Anything that helps me keep this car working for as long as possible. Especially things I can do myself and have a relatively easy learning curve.