Battery light came on

BIGRIG997
  • 2009 CHEVROLET MALIBU
New battery and the starter is only six months old, battery light came on and went off a few days ago. Then she got her oil changed and since has been on a lot. I replaced the battery again yesterday, this morning it quit running and started up a few minutes later. This time the power steering is acting up, when it does act up and you try and start it the dash lights go out like it's a bad connection. I cleaned and sealed the terminals and still remains the same, after noticing some of the issues online with the Malibu. If changing the alternator unnecessarily isn't going to cure it where should I start.
Sunday, February 9th, 2020 AT 8:20 AM

94 TRANSAM
The battery light in vehicles actually has nothing to do with the battery. It monitors the alternator voltage and if it is too high or too low the light will turn on.

Most parts stores will test your alternator for free if you bring it in to them.

See diagrams below for removal.

Rich
+1
Sunday, February 9th, 2020 AT 7:34 PM
KEN
Here is a guide that will walk you through the steps:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-alternator

Please run down this guide and report back.

Monday, February 10th, 2020 AT 3:45 PM

Sponsored links