Drum Removal (Rear)

CRAIG WITTWER
  • 2007 PONTIAC VIBE

What bolt thread and size do I need for rear brake drum removal? To use in the two threaded holes 180° from each other on rear drum used for drum removal.

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 9:46 PM

The bolts are supposed to hold the drum on to axle. Do what is shown in pic to loosen adjuster, once loosened hit edge of drum with hammer it should come off

-1
Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 5:58 AM
CRAIG WITTWER

No. The HOLES ARE NOT to hold the drum at all or there would be bolts in the holes! When the tire comes off of this car for the first time, and the drums are about to come off for the first time, and there is NO BOLTS IN THE HOLES, you are going to try to tell me they are too HOLD THE DRUM ON! Quit wasting my damn time! I asked a VERY specific question, not for your input on What they were for, WHAT SIZE BOLTS AND THREAD DO I NEED FOR THE HOLES. Not asking how to do what I already know how to do, not asking what they are for. I remember now, in the past ten years why I have avoided this site like the plague, because I only ever asked one other question, and somebody answered me with what I already knew, just like you!

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 11:17 AM

I gave you an answer to remove the drum that is the most common way mechanics do this sort of stuff. If you want to findthe bolts then they will be either 6 or 8 mm and thread size will vary. Best way to find this out is go to auto parts get a new drum and size it there. Regardless the brakes shold be backed off otherwise it would come off with out them

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 12:03 PM
CRAIG WITTWER

Ok this helps a little, thank you. I'm from Minnesota, so it's quite uncommon for these types of things to work anywhere near this easy.

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 12:11 PM

There are three different thread sizes in metric 1mm 1.5mm and 1.75mm are most common then you have to get bolt size 6-8-10mm those are most common sizes on a car

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 12:48 PM