1992 DODGE SHADOW IGNITION SWITCH LIGHT STUCK ON

• pentecost2190
  • 1992 Dodge Shadow

1992 Dodge Shadow 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My 1992 Dodge shadow has the ignition switch light stuck on. How can I either fix the problem or disconnect the light all together? I've already had my battery go dead twice.

Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 6:04 PM

• JDL

Are you talking about the halo around the key cylinder? If you turn the key a little, one way or the other, it may go out?

-1
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 7:01 PM
  • pentecost2190

Yes the halo around the switch is exactly what I'm talking about, it just will not go off as long as the battery has power. I've tried jiggling the switch with and without the key to no avail. I'm just not sure what else to do.

-1
Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 4:30 AM
  • JDL

If you pull fuse 13-- 10 amp, that should kill it. It is wired from the time delay relay in the relay module. Can't say the relay is faulty, might be a relay wiring circuit? I wanted to add, there are other circuits that work off that fuse.

Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 9:49 AM
  • caradiodoc

If you have a backlit headlamp switch, that light should also be staying on with the halo light. It's rare, but the contacts in the time-delay relay can arc and stick together. First, try tapping on it with a light metal object like a screwdriver. The doors will have to be closed. This unit is a silver round relay, about 3/4" in diameter, similar to the old fluorescent light starters. If the lights go off, the contacts were sticking.

You can find a bunch of these in the salvage yards, and chances are you'll find a good one because they don't fail very often. Another clue is to crawl into the car and close all the doors, wait a few minutes, then feel the time-delay relay. If it's cold and the lights are still on, the contacts are stuck. If the relay is warm, it's being turned on by a door switch. The older metal pin-type switches have multiple contacts so it's possible the dome light will not be affected. The pin switches can slide in the tube nut and become out of adjustment too.

Monday, September 7th, 2009 AT 3:52 AM