1988 DODGE RAMCHARGER STALLS

• mothy6969
  • 1988 Dodge Ramcharger

1988 Dodge Ramcharger V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 198, 00 miles

WHEN I START MY TRUCK IT RUNS FINE I DRIVE 25 MILES TO WORK ABOUT 20 MILES INTO THE DRIVE MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND I SMELL FUEL THE TRUCK HESITATES UNTIL I SHUT IT OFF AND PUT IT IN NEUTRAL AND HIT THE BRAKE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GOES OFF START THE TRUCK UP AND RUNS FINE AFTER WORK STARTS UP FINE DRIVE ABOUT A HALF OF A MILE TO THE STOP SIGN AND IT STALLS WHILE AT THE LIGHT STARTS RIGHT UP AND 25 MILES HOME AND GET OFF THE EXIT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND FUEL SMELL AGAIN EVERYDAY IT LIKE THIS BUT RUNS NICE AND SMOOTH UNTILL THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON NEW FUEL PUMP FILTER

Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 10:48 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Have you had the computer scanned for codes? Most parts stores will do it for free. Let me know what code they find. To me, it sounds like a weak pick-up coil in the distributor because of the fuel smell. Have you checked for leaks?

Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 8:21 PM
  • vincecooks

The 1988 Ramcharger was the last year without a computer and was carbureted.

Thursday, August 9th, 2012 AT 6:29 AM