TICKING NOISE

• rgreen090305
  • Dodge Ram

I own a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. When I start the truck I can hear a slight but annoying ticking sound which increases when the throttle is increased. The noise does go away after about 5 minutes when the truck is warmed up. I took the truck in about 5 months ago with this problem and they informed me that it was a broken exhaust manifold bolt which they drilled out and replaced. Now the noise is back. Since my truck is now out of warranty and I consider myself ok at fixing things I am going to try and fix the problem. Do you think that it is a bolt that just needs tightening or a bad gasket. Can you suggest where to start and how to pin point the leak.

Friday, May 5th, 2006 AT 7:54 PM

• losone

Have some one start the truck while you listen carefully under the hood. If it is a sharp click it is exhaust, If it is a muffled click it is a lifter.

Saturday, May 6th, 2006 AT 3:50 PM
  • vandragon

Most auto repair shops give a one year warrenty on parts and labor. Take it back with your paper work and talk to them.

Saturday, May 6th, 2006 AT 4:03 PM