SPERATIC OIL GUAGE PROBLEM

Dodge Ram

Broken_Prop

March, 6, 2007 AT 5:36 PM

I have a 2000 dodge 1500 ram 2wd w/5.9l engine with 105,000 miles. While Driving down the highway after the engine has warmed up the oil pressure gauge speraticlly goes from normal(about 3/4 at steady 2000 rpm) to just less than half(still at a steady 2000 rpm) and then back to just about normal. There is no change when the Truck is sitting at idle. When the gauge changes I also hear a pinging noise like the valves are slapping. There is no noticable change in performance or rpm's. Could someone please help me try and figure this out. I and a handfull of tech friends are stumped. Thanks, Jerry

Broken_Prop

March, 8, 2007 AT 5:22 PM

Is there anyone out there that can help with this. It seems to be getting worse by the day.

Thanks,
Jerry

vampyrico

March, 9, 2007 AT 9:31 PM

Change your oil. Old and dirty oil can cause problems like this. The pinging could be a number of this but in conjunction with your oil prob id check out the valve guides. Check your timing system as well. Crank, chain, distro, etc etc. And also check the knock sensor.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element