NO HEAT

2002 Dodge Ram

lobo1957

December, 7, 2009 AT 1:41 PM

Heater problem
2002 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 158000 miles

Air conditioner works fine but there is no heat. When turn the temp knob to heat no change occurs

No Heat

caradiodoc

December, 8, 2009 AT 2:33 AM

What have you tried so far? Is the temperature gauge reading normally when the engine is warmed up? Is the coolant reservoir full? Do you have dual zone?

If the temperature gauge reads low, check the coolant level or suspect a stuck open thermostat. If the gauge reads normal, feel the two heater hoses after the engine is warmed up. They should be too hot to hold onto for very long. If they're cool, suspect a plugged heater core. Back flushing it with a garden hose will usually clear the blockage.

If both heater hoses are hot, there's a problem with the temperature door in the heater box, or with the actuator. If you have a dual zone heater, there are two separate actuators. The chances of both of them going bad at the same time is rather unlikely.

Some of the actuators can be accessed by removing the glove box door and reaching through to the heater box. Try tapping on them. If one starts to work, it likely has worn brushes in the motor and should be replaced.

As with everything else that has been over-engineered and unnecessarily complicated, the actuators are run with a computer instead of old fashioned, reliable levers and cables. Chrysler doesn't have near as much trouble with their computer modules as GM, but don't overlook the possibility.

dynogt16

December, 17, 2009 AT 9:51 AM

OK. I have a 2002 dodge ram. I am not a technician.

BUT. Go to Dodge. Com Go to owners and enter your VIN for recalls, or call dodge.

On the 2002 they had a recall for heaters there is an undersized wire that causes your blower to not work. I had the same problem. It has to do with the defrost. But its a recall they will likely fix it and no cost.

Try that first let me know.

caradiodoc

December, 17, 2009 AT 10:10 AM

Good information, but the AC is working and it uses the same fan as the heater. I wasn't aware of a recall for a dead fan. Thanks.

dynogt16

December, 17, 2009 AT 10:15 AM

When I experianced the problem it was with my a/c but it shorted all my knolbs out I would look into it. Before I go spending money and troubleshooting. The recall is for a deforst problem but it happen to my a/c in summer.

Replace Heater Core
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement