Air conditioner wasn't working properly when stuck in stop and go traffic

CARRMATT
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
Air Conditioning problem V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 94,000 miles

Over the summer I noticed that the a/c wasn't working properly when stuck in stop and go traffic.
When the car is in motion the a/c starts to work as normal, but when in standstill, the a/c gets real humid. I tried to recharge the a/c but no improvement. I also notice a hiss from under the hood when I get out of the car and the air has been on. I believe this leak is causing the check engine light to come on but I haven't checked the code to be sure.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261423_080707_195756_1.jpg

Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 3:21 PM

IMPALASS
Hello

I think I know what the problem is but need just a little more info. Lord willing it is simple. I do need more info on the truck model (nice looking truck by the way). Is it a 1500, 2500 or what? Also, V8, there are several, 4.7L, 5.9L, and maybe provide the 8th letter in the VIN.

Right off without the above information it sounds like your condenser cooling fan isn't moving. There is a technical service bulletin out on some of these for this problem. But again, I need to know your exact vehicle to let you know.

Also, please go to Auto Zone or O Reilly's and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important. Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter just because it is free and you are there.

Please get back with me with the above information so we can do a couple of quick checks.

Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 10:35 PM