2000 Dodge Ram 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 will not idle, starts th

BUTCHCURRIER
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
How do I change my IAC (Idle air control valve)? I belive this is the fix since my problem started all at once. My truck was starting and running fine until this morning. I was driving and pulled into a gas station to get a cold drink and when I got back in my truck it would start and only stay running if I kept my RPM's up around 1500-1800. If I take my foot off the throttle, the engine will die.
There are No codes and my Check Engine ligh is Not on.
Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 11:18 AM

MERLIN2021
It's bolted to the throttlebody Fairly simple. You may have a vacuum leak, get a can of spray gumout, spray the vac lines and maniflod area, when the idle changes, youve found the leak! You want the engine running and spray on the outside but do direct the stream onto the hoses, if it is a vacuum leak, the engine idle will change speed, then you have detected a leak, repair the vacuum leak and see how it runs! Any codes? Check engine light on?
.
Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 11:23 AM
NICKBOUDIN
My truck is now having the exact same problem. I've changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cat converter, fuel pump, egr valve, and pcv valve.

I cant seem to find if I have a leak. This post exactly describes my truck, and i'm completely stumped. A mechanic told me to drive the truck around, while the computer resets itself to my idle's speed. But I dont see how that's possible.
-1
Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 3:08 PM
MERLIN2021
It's right at the top of the engine, where the butterfly of the throttle body is, it's held on with 2 screws and looks like this!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_IAC_4.jpg

Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 3:28 PM
NICKBOUDIN
Will my 94 dodge ram have this IAC valve? Or is it only in newer modles?

I've now been told that my problem is my computer.
Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 10:03 PM
MERLIN2021
If it's seqquential fuel injection, it has one. To get codes from the PCM turn the key from off to on three times on the fourth, leave it on, count the flashes, these are trouble codes.22 will flash as 2 blinks, a short pause and 2 blinks, each codes is seperated by longer pauses! Write em down and post.
Wednesday, May 21st, 2008 AT 3:00 AM