HEADLIGHT SWITCH FUNCTIONS

1998 Dodge Ram

herisse

October, 18, 2009 AT 12:25 PM

1998 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi. I own a 98 Dodge Ram equiped with the push/pull headlight switch system. I'd like to replace it with the newer Mopar headlight switch from 99-01. On the rear side of my push/pull switch are only 9 wires and behind the Mopar switch are 14 wires. How can I connect it for proper function? I found a description of the Mopar switch with color codes and function associated but nothing about the old style model. Somebody help? Thank you !

October, 19, 2009 AT 1:46 PM

Welcome to the site, thanks for the donation. Red wire with white tracer and pink wire with red tracer, is voltage to the headlamp switch. Light green wire and light green with black tracer are voltage wires from the headlamp switch to dimmer. Black with yellow tracer should be for tail-lights. I realize that is only five, can you give me the other wiring colors? OK, found some more, orange wire is variable dimming. Yellow wire should be for dome lite, black wire with orange tracer is ground, pink wire with dark blue tracer should be cargo lamp.

herisse

October, 21, 2009 AT 2:01 PM

Thank you very much for the info 's ! But as you said, there are 2 main fused voltage wires on the old switch and only one on the Mopar switch (pink red). What must I do with the other one? Hope that my project is possible.

October, 21, 2009 AT 2:32 PM

I don't know if the new switch will work? Cap one voltage wire, insulate it, so it doesn't short to anything. See if the new switch will work? This project is your responsibility, I can't see much from where I am. Whatever you do, make sure it is safe, everything works and no short circuits anywhere.

Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon