V6 1500 TIMING CHAIN

1994 Dodge Ram

chuckamiss

March, 17, 2006 AT 11:01 AM

How does the timing chain tensioner work? I am getting ready to replace the timing chain and have never done one on a dodge, any tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

vandragon

March, 18, 2006 AT 11:20 AM

If it is not a 3.3 or 3.8 it doesn't have a chain and the timing is set with the belt. There is a belt tensioner pully on the front of the motor. But I don't recall one for a new chain and cam sprocket which normally does the job. Hope this helped.

vandragon

March, 19, 2006 AT 2:03 PM

Hey, my bad, there is a tensioner on a 3.3 and 3.8!
After I replied I kept thinking, did I or did I not read somewere about a chain tensioner. So I looked in one of my repair manuals and there it was, so i'm going to
give you small picture only. If I were you I would go to autozone and get a Haynes Manual, the picture and instructions are neened together!

Looking at the timing chain the tensioner is at the right outside of the chain and has a pivot bolt at the bottom and adjustment bolt about 3/4's up toward the top. There is also a chain guide to the inside left of the chain and both may need to be adjusted. Like I said go look at the manual for clearence and torgue.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe