CRACKED BLOCK

Dodge

stevo

August, 17, 2006 AT 6:20 PM

I have a 1999 dodge 1500 p/u. It has 65000 miles and has never overheated. I was told the engine block has cracked. How could this happened? Chrysler wants $6000 to rebuild the engine.

Cracked Block

Cracked Block

1 IMAGE

beerasore

August, 21, 2006 AT 7:56 PM

Hey Stevo, what engine? Where is it cracked at?

Mikeybdman

August, 21, 2006 AT 8:10 PM

Usually if the block cracks, it is due to the coolant freezing. You have freeze plugs that can protect it, but they dont always work. If you have ever let the coolant get weak, it may have froozen and you not know it.
As for the $6k for a rebuild. Geeze! I know the dealership wants like $2500 for the block, but I am sure you can find one a lot cheaper.

beerasore

August, 21, 2006 AT 9:28 PM

That is what I was leaning towards. Boat tech, 28 yrs have seen atleast 20 cracked blocks every year. Still would like to know where it is cracked at. If it is cracked to the out side, and no coolant in the oil, There is plenty of hope. Cracked on the cylinder deck or lifter valley, TOAST.

stevo

August, 21, 2006 AT 10:56 PM

I live in California and my truck is always garaged so I don't think the coolant froze. I don't know where the block is cracked and neither does Chyrsler. The Chyrsler service advisor said that they were putting in a long block. The engine is a 5.2 v8

Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter