VOLTAGE REGULATOR

1990 Dodge

badger0269

June, 10, 2009 AT 7:52 AM

1990 Other Dodge Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Hello
I need a little help. I am trying to locate the voltage regulator on a dodge D150 V8. Where is it at?
Is it located on the computer? I think that mine is bad and causing no charge to my battery.
Thank you for all you help in advance
Steve

June, 10, 2009 AT 8:32 AM

The voltage regulator circuitry shows to be in the pcm. With everything turned off, is the alternator bat terminal hot?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_90_dodge_1.jpg

With the engine running the field terminals are hot, one is B+ the other has a pulse.

badger0269

June, 10, 2009 AT 9:20 AM

Thanks for the info that is where I thought that iis where it would be. I took a DMM to the b terminal and field terminal and I got my battery reading. Then I started it up and got no reading on the dmm at thsoe same terminals. Also after starting it I get check engine light codes 12 (which I have been disconnecting battery alot) and code 41.
IIt is a new alternator and a battery less than 4 months old

June, 10, 2009 AT 10:48 AM

I'm not sure which terminals, had no voltage with the engine running? B+ to the alternator field comes from the ignition switch. The other field terminal is ground, pulsed by the computer.

badger0269

June, 10, 2009 AT 11:30 AM

I had one wire from dmm connected to the B+ terminal and one cable of the dmm to the field terminal and with vehicle running I no longer got a voltage reading there. Maybe I am missunderstanding how tho check to make sure that the alternator is out putting the proper voltage to the battery.

June, 10, 2009 AT 12:40 PM

Use separate engine ground, to ground the meter. Test the bat terminal and field terminals one at a time, engine running.

badger0269

June, 10, 2009 AT 3:35 PM

Okay I tried that with engine running I got the same voltage at the 2 field terminals and at the b+ terminal it was 12.6 volts+/-. There was no change in the voltage also when I stepped on the gas to increase the rpms.
Thanks for all the info you have given me so far

June, 11, 2009 AT 8:24 AM

If there is no pulse on that one field terminal, it's either the wiring circuit or pcm.

badger0269

June, 11, 2009 AT 8:50 AM

Thank you for all your help and time. I will look at all the wiring hope that is where its at.
Once again I really appriciate all you help

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet