WON'T STAY CRANKED

1986 Dodge

dracodragon

December, 16, 2007 AT 12:46 AM

Other Category problem
1986 Other Dodge Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

I have a 86 dodge 600 es with a 2.2 turbo engine.
I can get it to start but it will slowly die out. The dash lights dim then the car dies out. I jump it and it runs maybe 2 min tops. I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for this car. I can't figure it out. Today I turned the car over with a car jumper and it ran for a few mins but as soon as I turned on the lights it lights dimed and it died once more. And the power loss light is on. Itest the alternater is was fine.

Carluccija

December, 16, 2007 AT 9:17 AM

Now I have had this problem with other cars. When you tested the altenator. Did you pull it out of the car and have it tested. If that is what you did it might just be a wire broken in your charging system. I would look at the wires running from your battry to your altenator. You might have a bad fusible link or just a wire.

dracodragon

December, 17, 2007 AT 11:02 AM

I found a voltage regulator on the side of the car but nothing is connected to it. Where is the wirnig harness to it?

Carluccija

December, 18, 2007 AT 3:26 PM

Well without actually seeing it myself that's a good question. If anything at all I would look for a connector that is hanging down from that area. It will most likely be running inline with other wires in a wire tube, with the connector running out off the tube. I believe it is 3 wires running on the connecotr. Depends on how many connections on the regulator

Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement