Timing Belt

JEWLSTEP
  • DODGE NEON
I have a 2001 Dodge Neon with 177,000 miles on it.
The timing belt snapped when I was on the highway. They are telling me I have an interference engine and have a 50-50 shot that just replacing the timing belt will fix my car. Then he told me that there is a 50 % shot that they can replace the belt and there's more damage and replacing the belt didn't work at all. What would you do?
Tuesday, March 21st, 2006 AT 8:53 AM

JPAM
Bump*** moved to Chysler forum
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006 AT 2:22 AM
COOL DAKOTA
Since you were on the freeway, I would assume that the engine would need to be replaced. Real good possibility that the valves got damaged. At the least.

I would do further checking into the engine. Perhaps take off the head, or some other means of checking the valves.
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006 AT 2:30 AM
JEWLSTEP
Re 2001 Dodge Neon again. The guy checked my car, said the valves were not bent said they will proceed to put the belt on and wish for the best. Since he is already in there. I have 177.000 miles on my car, should I just have him replace the water pump while he's in there? They quoted me $527 total for everthing. Is that reasonable or way too high?

********************************
cool dakota Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:30 am Post subject:

since you were on the freeway, I would assume that the engine would need to be replaced. Real good possibility that the valves got damaged. At the least.

Jpam Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:22 am Post subject:

bump*** moved to Chysler forum

jewlstep Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:53 am Post subject: Timing Belt

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006 AT 11:29 AM
COOL DAKOTA
Always have work done when you are already into the
project. It makes like easier.

YES, I would have the water pump replaced. And the amount sounds good. Not too bad.

Good luck.
Friday, March 24th, 2006 AT 12:11 AM