OIL LIGHT ON

Dodge Neon

zacpobroma

February, 24, 2007 AT 7:47 PM

I have a 2000 dodge neon wiht 125,000 miles on it. It has a sohc, 4 banger. My oil light turns on when I turn a corner, then turns off as soon as I get back on the gas. Is this an actual problem, or just some kind of sensor error? Any info would be great! Thanks

CHEVYII

February, 24, 2007 AT 7:49 PM

My first question would be is the oil full, sounds like you may be low? Check that and let us know

jim

zacpobroma

February, 24, 2007 AT 8:26 PM

That what I dont understand, the oil is full, right where it should be. This isn't a new problem though. It used to only happen when it was really cold, and the car had been sitting a while. Then it became more frequent. But when I check it out it turned out to not be the cause

CHEVYII

February, 24, 2007 AT 8:40 PM

Im wondering if the oil pressure switch is bad or the connector is loose, it is located on the right side of the engine block, check that out, have someone move the connector and wiring while you watch the dash and let me know
jim

zacpobroma

February, 24, 2007 AT 9:13 PM

I wiggled it every which way, got nothing///

CHEVYII

February, 24, 2007 AT 10:03 PM

Here is what I was thinking, you said going around corners this happens, possibly the wiring harness being stretched, but if thats not the case, I can give you the ohm spec if you have a digital ohm meter, or you can try replacing it, I personally dont like doing that without checking first but its up to you, the switch retails for 13.50, one other thing there could be a problem in the cluster a short to ground or a bad printed circuit board, it all depends on if you can test these items, I will help if you need it let me know

jim

zacpobroma

March, 3, 2007 AT 4:19 PM

So I was driving down the freeway when the oil light came back on. It was flasing on and off randomly, as before. So I got fed up and pulled into a gas station, my car was almost pouring oil onto the ground. So I filled the oil back up and took it to the shop. At first they thought it was the head gasket, but turns out the problem was a broken sending unit.

I used this site before, and had about the same problem, asnd somebody told me that it was the sender that wasn't working properly. I should have jsut listened.

I took it to the mechanic and they had no idea, the just figured that the oil was " sloshing".

This site is awesome, keep up the good work!

Thank you for all your help!

CHEVYII

March, 3, 2007 AT 4:27 PM

Hi that was me and thanks fo letting us know what happened, good luck with the car

jim

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element