2004 Dodge Neon Odd Smell

DWRIGHT48066
  • 2004 DODGE NEON
My car has a bad strong smell (not gasoline or anti-freeze) when my car sits at idle. The lights and power also dims until I hit the gas. Sometimes my battery light will even come on. It also makes a "weeee" sound that gets higher pitched as I hit the gas. Could it be my alternator or a belt? I lost my job so I don't have the extra money for diagnostics by a mechanic and these repairs I can do myself. Thanks for your help.
Thursday, November 20th, 2008 AT 6:10 AM

JACK42
Sounds like you may have a bad drive belt or belt tensioner. There isnt much room on those cars, but you will need to see if the tensioner is holding tension on the belt. If it is, remove the belt and see if any of the accessories are rough when turned by hand. Since the belt has been slipping, a new one may be needed
Thursday, November 20th, 2008 AT 7:59 AM
IMPALASS
Hello -

If you can narrow the odor down to the type that would help. You know it isn't fuel or antifreeze. Then is it rubber, electrical, oil something like that?

Next, sounds like it isn't getting enough power and is getting ready to die, ie battery lights etc, it may be a belt slipping. So do the below and do a good visual inspection on the belt.

The nice thing about the below, it is free.

Please go to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

If the above doesn't show anything, we may need to do the below test. You can anyway if you would like.

We need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. Pull a plug wire off of the spark plug and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical. If you are getting good spark then you need to get a fuel pressure check on the fuel pump to ensure it is putting out okay.

Let me know what you find out and we will take it from there.

Also, if you need to get back with me let me know what the 8th digit of your VIN is.