2002 Dodge Neon transmission

1S3XYDAD
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
2002 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Automatic 130000 miles

I replaced transmission @ 80,000 miles. I broke both the upper and lower torque struts a few days ago and not sure if that was my problem but my tranny or maybe the drive axles started buzzing loudly and the car would not drive any further. I towed it home and replaced both torque struts using the manual specifications. I also drained tranny fluid and replaced filter. I then started car and put in gear; it won't drive in any gear. So I jacked up the front wheels, while the gear is in park I can spin wheels by hand, and put in drive gear it still buzzes a sound like bzzzzzzzz. No movement in reverse. Please help.
Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 11:31 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

this may be a broken drive shaft in the transmission end or a failed diff, was pull the shafts first, also with both wheels off the ground, if you turn one wheel does the other turn in the opposite direction, and holding one wheel still and turning the other is there any odd noise?

Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 12:32 AM
1S3XYDAD
. Thank you mark. Spinning one wheel makes the other one spin opposite direction. Also no distinct odd sounding noise when spinning just one wheel
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 12:45 AM
MHPAUTOS
Was there any metal in the bottom of of the transmission pan, cut open the old filter as well,

mark
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 12:52 AM
1S3XYDAD
There was a bit of minute shavings
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 12:54 AM
MHPAUTOS
Actually just re reading your first post, you say. So I jacked up the front wheels, while the gear is in park I can spin wheels by hand, I think that you may have a failed diff, I feel that the transmission will have to come out and be stripped at least to the diff.

Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 12:55 AM
1S3XYDAD
Mark I was affraid you were gonna say that. What a pain in the rear this neon is. Thank you very much for everything. You saved me alot hassle on troubleshooting it myself. Very happy for your input. Thanks again from another troubled Neon owner Jeremy
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 1:01 AM