2002 Dodge Neon

RED12767
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
Engine light on. Been reset several times. Can't find reason for the light to be on. Other than a possible sensor which my mechanic assures me is no big deal

But.

left for work (car warmed up), drove approximately 10 miles. Stopped at stoplight (in drive), light green, gas pedal to go, and car jumps like a jerking motion, then goes, no spurting noises or stalling, just a serge/jumping motion forward. Pull over check hoses, tranny fluid, etc. Nothing looks odd. Drives fine the remainder 7 miles I have to go. I got in it at lunch to drive around the parking lot to see if it does it again. Putting into reverse, hard jerk, neutral, not as hard of a jerking motion, drive - seems find slipping into that. Proceed to drive and I hear this noise that sounds like something "flapping against the car" under the passenger front fender. I see nothing when looking into the hood or underneath the car. Hoses and belts all snug and in great condition. The radiator is brand new. Had to replace when the transmission tank broke and tranny fluid ended up into the radiator. All of this was flushed out and transmission filter changed. This was about 9 months ago. Only thing done recently has been the front brake pads changed.

should the tranny be flushed out again and refilled with new tranny fluid and a new filter again, along with the radiator being flushed and refilled? Will this solve this jerking forward motion.
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 12:14 PM

LEGITIMATE007
First thing you have to do, is bring it to autozone and have it scanned for trouble codes, bring them back to me and I will look them up for you, at this point your mechanic seems like he's not being honest with you. Also do not take any advice from autozone after they scan for codes, they are not trained mechanics and only want to make a sale. Just write the codes down and post them back to me and we will take it from there, the cost of this computer scan if free.
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 12:32 PM
RED12767
Ok I will take it to autozone and find out what the codes are and get back with you with them.

Just off the wall thought though. What do you think it might be? I am hoping for something simple and inexpensive to fix it. (Crossing fingers) And not for it to be a transmission problem severe enough to warrant rebuild or new. Please give me a little ray of hope here. :) Sensor maybe?
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 12:39 PM
LEGITIMATE007
It could have something to do with the tranny, but I cant be sure, if it is, it may just be a sensor(check your tranny fluid too). I'm thinking it maybe fuel or spark. Hard to tell though, if your mechanic said its nothing to worry about, then its probably something small, I dont think its major.
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 12:48 PM
RED12767
I checked the tranny fluid. Nice and red, no burn smell either. I just went and drove it around the parking lot again and I hear squeaking of brakes (can't tell if it is the front or back) front pads new, just put on last week - rotors in excellent condition. Could a locked up back brake cause the car to jump and feel like a tranny issue? Say the brake is locked and jumps free while pushing on gas pedal and it unlocks? I had the back brakes done over a year ago and had to replace one of the drums because it broke. Maybe the other one is getting ready to break? Maybe the brakes in back are locking up and that is what it is doing that? But still also have to figure out what the check engine light is as well. UGH. Figures. Warranty out on car and is half way paid for now. If it is back brakes causing this problem, that is a simple and cheap fix compared to a tranny issue. Lol What do you think? Could the back brakes be locking (they didn't squeak yesterday)? This problem started this morning.
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 12:56 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Yes it makes sense maybe a crack in the drum/rotor
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 11:46 AM