2001 Dodge Neon My poor car

GILLIAN.LEWIS
  • 2001 DODGE NEON
My poor neon has been out of commission for quite some time now. I dont know much about cars, but it wont turn on. (My father in law is working on it currently) he says that the engine is not turning over completly. He has already replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, and all fluids are ok. He says it may be the timing belt on the car. If so how much is it to get that put into my car?

Or if you can tell me what it sounds like the problem would be that would be great. I was driving down the road and both the check engine and oil light came on. Than it started dinging. The car than just stopped on me and hasnt ran since. (HELP)
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 3:40 AM

WRENCHTECH
The way it died sounds pretty ominous. When they die on their own after the oil light coming on, it's usually terminal. The oil light means "Stop now".
You might want to start with a compression test. Even if it was a timing belt failure, that is an interference engine meaning there would be severe internal damage caused when the timing belt failed.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 4:43 AM