CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2001 Dodge Neon

sjkelley

May, 20, 2009 AT 7:36 AM

2001 Dodge Neon 90,000 miles

The " check engine" light came on my 2001 Dodge Neon the other day. The car is working fine, no problems starting, stopping, or driving. The engine light is not flashing, but the color is orange, almost red. I have lost my owners manual, so I don't know if a serious problem on a Neon is indicated by a flashing light or a red one. Does anyone know? And is it safe to keep driving the car, given no apparent performance problems, until I can get a mechanic to look at it?

May, 20, 2009 AT 7:45 AM

The CEL being on you need to have the computer scanned for code/s this is your starting point

sjkelley

May, 20, 2009 AT 12:36 PM

Thanks. The light had been on for two straight days, so I ran it over to Advance Auto Parts to have them run a code check. When the guy turned the car back on, the " Check engine" light didn't come on. When he hooked up his gizmo to check for code problems, it said there weren't any. Cars! Go figure.