2002 DODGE INTREPID QUICK QUESTION ABOUT TRANSMISSION!

• rgrigsby
  • 2002 Dodge Intrepid

2002 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Automatic 60000+ miles

About 2 weeks ago my '02 Dodge Intrepid was stalling, so I got it towed to a local transmission shop in my city. At first the mechanic said that he had to get a rebuilt transmisson which would cost me $2000 dollars. Well, then I decided to get a used one which would cost less like $1,300. I didnt have that kind of money at the time. So the mechanic said he would clean certain things in the engine and said the car started moving again.

How long do you think the car will last before this happens again.

I'm really thinking of trading the car in soon not a the moment but later.

Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 12:03 PM

• Zackman

Stalling as in the engine died while you were driving, or with the engine running but the car wouldn't move?

If it is the first instance, it is not your transmission. Even if it is the second one, it is probably not your entire transmission. It could have been the speed sensors, transmission control module, or the transmission solenoid pack. When the problem happened, I am very certain that you have the check engine light came on. Have it scanned and reply with the code numbers.

Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 1:35 PM
  • rgrigsby

In a parking lot it stalled, it wouldnt go foward or backwards. I had it towed and they said I needed a new transmission, then he cleaned some stuff and said the car could go 20 miles or 20,000 miles before it happens again.

Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 8:15 AM
  • Zackman

If it is the transmission, if it is to go out, it will go and won't move at all, no matter what you do. If he " cleans" some stuff, and the car moves again, then there is a chance that it may not be the entire transmission. Can you find out what he supposedly clean? If it ever happens again, you can probably repeat the trick

Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 11:38 PM
  • rgrigsby

He cleaned the filter, etc. I really dont know what else he did but ill look at the paper today.

Thursday, February 26th, 2009 AT 7:47 AM
  • Zackman

Also which filter? The transmission filter?

Thursday, February 26th, 2009 AT 8:02 PM
  • rgrigsby

I'm guessing, not sure. If that would make the car move because it was dirty.

I can't help ya there, but I'm going to get the body damage fixed and trade it in for a SUV (mini). : D

Friday, February 27th, 2009 AT 12:53 PM
  • Zackman

Good for you.

Friday, February 27th, 2009 AT 7:50 PM