ALTERNATOR?

2002 Dodge Intrepid

jone0920

August, 22, 2010 AT 2:10 PM

2002 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

Recently during an extremely hot day (107+) I came back to my car and found it would not start. When turning key to the on position the dash lights wold flicker for a bit and the gauges would not turn on. Eventually the dash lights stayed on and the gauges came on. Tryed to start but started clicking like a dead battery. Got a jump start and it started right up. After about a minute the car shuts off and the above mentioned symptoms continue. Jumped again, starts right up but won't stay running. Battery or Alternator? Is there an easier fix I might check first like a blown fuse?

Thank you for any insight!

bluelightnin6

August, 22, 2010 AT 2:21 PM

Seems like you may have loose connections, check the battery terminals to ensure the connections are tight and clean. If OK than the alternator has probably failed which will also run down the battery, preventing it from starting. A jumper will start it up but with a failed alternator it will not remain running. Have the alt. And battery tested, most local auto part stores test these for free.

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty