BROKEN TIMING BELT.

2001 Dodge Intrepid

Sirwhinesalot

October, 25, 2009 AT 7:50 PM

2001 Dodge Intrepid V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

Is it possible for the piston to hit the valve if the timing belt breaks. My brothers so called mechanic told him the valve went through the piston. He has not turned a wrench to take anything apart so how can he tell.
Bob

mhpautos

October, 26, 2009 AT 2:10 AM

Hi there,

Just need to clarify what engine you have, according to the Mitchel 1 data base the 2001 Dodge intrepid ES has the 3.2 & 3.5 V6 which have cam belts, if this is your engine then they are interference type engines and valve damage will occur when the timing belt fails, I doubt that a vale has gone through a piston, the normal damage is one or more bent valves, as I am in Australia and not overly failure with this car, I must rely on the Mitchel 1 data base for information.

Sirwhinesalot

October, 26, 2009 AT 9:26 AM

My mistake ( TYPO) yes it is a V6. If its just bent valves, would it damage the piston to the point of it having to be removed?

mhpautos

October, 26, 2009 AT 4:18 PM

Hi there, 99 out of 100 times it will be a bent valve problem, pistons are very tough, the heads have to come off regardless, but I am sure that it will only be a valve problem.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Air Filter Replacement Acura TL
Engine Oil Change and Filter