SPEED SENSOR

2000 Dodge Intrepid

lewy

July, 8, 2008 AT 8:19 PM

2000 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

My wife was driving home, the speedometer quit working and would not shift gears. I believe the speed sensor went bad. How do I change this, is this worth investing time before taking it to a repair shop?

obxautomedic

July, 9, 2008 AT 9:56 PM

Is you check engine light on? If so have codes pulled. Sound like your tranny is in what is called limp mode, which the vehicle is still drivable to get it to a shop, you just cannot go faster than about 25mph.

It could possibly be the Turbine Speed Sensor and the Output Shaft Speed Sensor. The cost for the 2 of them should be under $40 and here are there locations....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_100_2510_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_100_2509_1.jpg

jbalcomb

July, 10, 2008 AT 8:02 PM

I have the same issue on my 2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L V6. I have replaced the speed sensor to no effect. I haven't seen anything before about a Turbine Speed Sensor. Is this also referred to as the Input Speed Sensor? Is it possible that the wiring to the Output Speed Sensor could be part of the issue? If so, how and where does one test the wiring?

obxautomedic

July, 10, 2008 AT 8:46 PM

Yes, some call it the Input Speed Sensor. I will get back to you on the wiring test, I am not able to get into and my CD's Software I have just crashed and I have to reload it.

Aaron W

September, 7, 2008 AT 12:52 PM

Thank you for the internet diagnosis. I was with a friend and his mother in Eastern Wyoming when the speedo, odo, check engine light problems arose. The car would also not shift into fourth as it was in " limp" mode. Instead of getting codes from the only shop in town (expensive) we drove to Checkers in Cheyenne (we were lucky to find the censors mentioned above in two stores). After an hour under the car replacing the censors all was well.

Thank you for the help.