RECHARGING

2000 Dodge Intrepid

retcop107

April, 18, 2009 AT 2:34 PM

Air Conditioning problem
2000 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89000 miles

The ac fan burned up last fall. I replaced the fan and now the compressor will not kick on. I went to recharge the ac and the pressure gage is reading in the red, approx 90 lbs. I checked this before adding any freon. So now what do I do. What could be the problem sense the ac worked fine prior to the fan burning up

Docfixit

April, 19, 2009 AT 4:10 PM

Hi
There could be numerous things keeping compressor from engaging. Is this an Auto or manual system? When fan went did engine overheat? Is fan working when aC is turned on? Also do you have a DVOM?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

retcop107

April, 20, 2009 AT 8:06 AM

The 2000 dodge intrepid has two electric fans. One for the engin temp and one for the ac compressor. The compressor fan burned up. I replaced it and the compressor will not come on. I went to recharge the system as it does leak down over time and the gage on the low presure side is reading in the red. Too high. It should be in the blue when it needs freon

Docfixit

April, 20, 2009 AT 10:54 AM

Please respond to all questions need the info to help.

retcop107

April, 20, 2009 AT 12:58 PM

I did respond. The 2000 dodge intrepid has 2 electric fans. One for the motor and one for the ac. The ac fan burned up. I installed a new one but the compressor will not kick on. Sense the freon does leak out over time, I checked it with a gage and found the low pressure side was high, about 90 lbs. Too high to put freon in. If it needed freon it should have been real low. My question is, what could cause this, why is the compressor not kicking on. Thanks

retcop107

April, 20, 2009 AT 1:13 PM

The 2000 dodge intrepid has 2 fans. One for the motor and one for the ac. The ac fan burned up. I replaced it and the compressor will not kick on. I checked the ac to see if needed recharging and the gage on the low pressure side reads too high. Approx 90 lbs. It should be real low if the freon was low. Why is it reading so high and why will the compressor not kick on. Thanks

Docfixit

April, 20, 2009 AT 2:41 PM

Don't know if you have Auto or Manual I'll assume manual. When fan went it may have damaged AC relay in power Distribution center undrhood. See if 12V is on the Dark Blue/black wire at compressor, Why I wanted to know if you had a DVOM. If no then check relay it may have burnt contacts.

retcop107

April, 20, 2009 AT 6:54 PM

I don't know what DVOM is but the trans is auto

Docfixit

April, 21, 2009 AT 8:45 AM

DVOM is a meter to read voltage need that to check out AC circuit. Not the trans it is AC that is Auto or manual. Do you have a LED screen at just set temp thats Auto or just switches and knobes that you go from blue to red for heat and cool that manual.
So if you can get a meter and check voltage to the DkBLU/BLK wire that will get a start to repair.

Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro