1996 Dodge Intrepid Car dies while driving, will start afte

JASONLAWSON71
  • 1996 DODGE INTREPID
My Intrepid has been sputtering and then stalling out after driving for approximately 30 min. When this problem starts, you can push lightly on the gas and keep the car going but if you give too much gas it has no power. When it does die, it will start up and run after about two hours. The problem seems to be only be happening on very hot days. The first time it happened my mechanic hooked it up for diagnosis and no codes came up at all. Any ideas on where to start?
Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 2:54 PM

It sounds like a fuel related issue. I would start by checking fuel pump pressure and if you haven't replaced the fuel filter in a while, it may be a good idea. If you need directions for checking the pressure, let me know.
Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 9:17 PM
JASONLAWSON71
I replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel system pressure (checked right). Now when I level off at speeds between 50 and 65 there is a slight but very noticeable miss. Could a small hole in the muffle cause this or should I stick with going through the fuel system?
Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 12:23 PM
No, an exhaust leak won't cause that unless the catalytic converter is plugged.
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 12:55 AM
OLDTECH2
I had an Intrepid with the 3.5l engine that did something similar. Drove me nuts for awhile!

Try accelerating it hard when it starts misfiring. Probably, it's going to give you a code and it might shut down, so be close to home. The code will be for "inadequate dwell for engine load."

I finally dug up some schematics and found a diode in the harness at the rear of the engine on the passenger side. Trace the harness back from the coil pack. The diode is shrink wrapped in the harness, and has 1 wire to it from the coil with 2 wires coming out the other side. I fixed mine by cutting the diode out and replacing it with a condenser (yep, think old school point ignition) from a 68 for pickup that we had. Worked like a champ. Just taped it up in the harness and put it all back together and drove the car another 2 or 3 years.

Good Luck
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 AT 9:22 PM
JASONLAWSON71
This is exactly what it does. When it is acting up you have to be really light on the gas pedal or it loses power. Could you spoon feed this to me or let me know where I could possibly get an illustration of the wiring harness you are referring to. Appreciate your help.
Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 2:36 PM