1994 DODGE INTREPID COOLING FAN DIRECT CONNECT

• jmcgowan60
  • 1994 Dodge Intrepid

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200k miles

I have not been able to diagnose my trouble. Paid mechanic did not identify problem. Replacing parts very expensive. The fan motors still work, so I was wondering if I could by pass on the sensors and have the fan on all the time? How would I wire it so that the fan started when the engine was starting.

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 9:08 AM

• Docfixit

Hi
if fans comming on no need to rewire. They are designed to keep engine cool. Assume had water pump, thermostat replaced and flush. Right
Problem maybe radiator deposites form in Rad over time and lessens ability to cool. With engine at operating temp. Feel bottom of rad core compare to mid and top. If it is coller at bottom then no flow due to corrison.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 9:23 AM
  • jmcgowan60

Sorry for leaving this out. The fan never comes on, resulting in engine overheating. Can not find the problem so I thought I would see if there was a way to by pass all the sensors and have it run all the time.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 12:45 PM
  • Docfixit

Well that is an important bit of info. Two fans two relays ground controled by PCM via engine temp sensor and AC contoller. Also needs two fusesone in car junction F18 10 A and one underhood D 20A.
Two relays in underhood power distribution box. And engine temp sensor in thermostat housing. Unplug temp. Sensor ground fan on? First check fuses. At relays low fan may need to pull box out find white wire. Probe with test light ground clip. Fan on?
Let me know

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 1:27 PM
  • jmcgowan60

I was thinking something simpler like pulling power off the headlight wires directly to the cooling fan.

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 3:38 PM
  • Docfixit

You may but what are you going to do this winter? Goin to get really cold in car and run through a lot of gas.

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 4:12 PM
  • jmcgowan60

Didn't the older cars fans run continuously?

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 4:41 PM
  • Docfixit

No the used a vicious coupling that slowed fan rotation in cold. If you do the tests and it turns out to be PCM then the white wire to relay is where you can hook up a switch and turn on fan when needed.

Thursday, August 20th, 2009 AT 8:27 AM
  • jmcgowan60

Thanks.

Thursday, August 20th, 2009 AT 12:13 PM